Monday

ARE CUSTOMERS ALWAYS RIGHT?

In seasons like this where everybody is rushing to and fro, and that everyone is at its adrenalin peak one should expect
anything to happen.

Take this situation yesterday, I was at the 25th on the queue to pay my stuff at a convenience store when I heard a commotion at the cashier’s counter. The line has not been moving since the commotion so I ask the lady in front of me what happened.

Apparently, a customer wants to change the item she had bought and had done this so for three times already, so the saleslady refused to since it’s already the third time and it’s against the store’s policy. But the customer insisted on having her item changed and that started the commotion.

My heart also goes for the saleslady who got pestered by this lady, but in situations like this, are customers who changed her mind often really right?

I do not know what happened then after they went inside the store’s office, when I approach the counter I saw this framed subdued picture of Mahatma Gandhi at the back of the cashier with these writings;

A customer is the most important visitor in our premises;
He is not dependent on us; we are dependent on him/her;
He is not an interruption on our work,
He is the purpose of it,
He is not an outsider on our business,
He is a part of it.
We are not doing him/her a favor by serving him/her;
S/he is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so.


I wonder what it feels like in a liminal position, to adhere to this Gandhi principle or to garrote this out if this world customer. You choose!

Thanks for reading and see you again for another experience in this side of town.

6 comments:

  1. I guess per DTI, the customer has the right to change the item with-in 7 days.. regardless of how many times the item will be changed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do not agree with that saying "the customer is always right", because customers are always asking for something ridiculous and/or stupid. the definition of right and wrong applies to everyone. as a customer, you have the right to demand, but you are most certainly not "right" all the time.

    take your example, the customer had her purchased item returned/exchanged 3 times, she shouldn't have exchanged the item until she was sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good customer relations are about satisfying your customers through the efforts you make. However, occasionally your customers will be dissatisfied and complain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracia, thank you for dropping by, yes DTI has this rule, but that's beside the point, being pestered.Hahaha!

    Nicklelove, circumstances matter when a customer is right and wrong. Thanks for taking time writing this comment.

    Wedding, true indeed! Thank you for the effort writing. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It depend in situation...3 times changes no problem with receipt and not a broken box or pack on it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vernz, I worked in retail for a couple of years before I retired from the phone company after 30 years. When I first started working the "customer is always right" was the motto, but as time went by, at least in America, customer service has been slipping. But when I go to SM City, always someone friendly wanting to help!
    So yes, I think the customer is usually always right, but it does depend on the situation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for the comment. I appreciate it very much!
You may want to visit my other blogs;

The Consumer Talks
Woman Elan Vital